water damage

Removing Mold from Your Home Shouldn’t Be a DIY Project

Mold is never fun. When you spot mold in your home, your first reaction is usually to get rid of it immediately. There are so many questions regarding health and safety in the presence of mold that prompt you to want to get rid of it after the first glance. However, the price of mold removal is not inexpensive, which causes you to consider doing it yourself. You are not alone in the desire to remove mold from your home without professional help, but you need to keep in mind that mold removal at the do-it-yourself level is not necessarily a good idea.

The Most Important Reasons Against the DIY Way

There are several different reasons why it’s not a good idea to get rid of mold by yourself. The first is that some forms of mold are dangerous. Those who suffer from allergies and asthma are particularly susceptible to the dangers of mold, which can cause a number of health problems. However, it is not only the people who suffer from breathing problems who become sick from exposure to mold spores. Calling a professional is much better for your health than attempting to remove mold by yourself.

Mold removal specialists have the equipment necessary to remove mold from your home for good. Mold specialists have fans and special equipment that dry spaces completely so that mold cannot grow there. Sometimes when you do it yourself, you don’t get your home as dry as it needs to be to actually kill the mold, meaning your own cleaning is only temporary.

Mold specialists can find the cause of the mold problem. If you take the time to think about it, all mold problems have to start somewhere and for some reason. If your home is overrun with mold, a specialist can figure out what the cause of the problem is and treat that so it doesn’t come back to haunt you after you think the mold in your home is gone.

While it is true that you can use a mixture of bleach and water to remove mold, it is not a permanent solution, and most of the time it isn’t a good one. On porous surfaces, water seeps into the surface and feeds the mold spores while the bleach sits on top of the surface. This makes mold much worse in the long run. Mold removal specialists have specialized equipment that is designed to get rid of mold in porous surfaces as well as everywhere else. Bleach only kills mold on the surface; it does not get rid of it.

The Costs?

The cost of mold removal depends on the size and location. For removal from your average crawlspace, the price is anywhere between $500 and $4,000. Duct, wall, and attic mold removal increases the price to between $2,000 and $6,000. If your mold caused damage to your entire home, the cost of removal is anywhere between $10,000 and $30,000.

Mold removal is not inexpensive, but sometimes it is covered by your homeowner’s insurance. If the mold in your home is caused by another reason, such as a broken pipe or a flood, your insurance policy will likely cover the cost of the removal.

To further help, the cost of mold removal is a tax deduction. As it stands, mold removal falls into the category of home improvements that protect the investment of your home, which is tax deductible. The total amount you pay to have the mold removed for your home is deductible at the end of the year as a business expense if you use your home for business purposes, or a personal expense as an improvement to your home. If you have to purchase additional materials after the mold is removed to replace walls or trim, the cost of those is also deductible.

Categories